Thursday, August 11, 2005

Kids Say the Darnedest Things (or, "My Huge P***s")

So we're at the swimming pool today. In the "family changing room" I take my four-year-old son into the changing stall with me so I can get out of my wet bathing suit.

While we're in there, he looks at me and says,

"Wow! That's a huge p***s!"

In the interim, I've had time to think of some good responses:

1) "Thanks, little buddy! It's time I start paying you an allowance! Here's twenty bucks to start!"

2) "Could you *please* remember to explain this to your mother when we get home??"

3) "Yeah, I hear that at the bathhouse all the time!"

However, since I was in a public changing room, none of those imaginative responses came to me. Instead, in hushed tones, I said, "Shh, little buddy, let's not talk about that right now, ok?"

Clearly he didn't get it yet, since the next thing he said was,

"But Dad, it really is a huge p***s! Mine is just a little puny p***s."

So maybe I should have stopped discouraging the child and just gone with the flow:

"Thanks again little bud! And for that matter, you should see me when I *haven't* just come out of a cold swimming pool!"

But no. Instead, I reiterated to him, "We shouldn't be talking about p***ses right now, ok? That's kind of private, and we don't really want to talk about it here at the swimming pool."

This time he gets it. Whew.

Of course, I *do* buy him a donut after the swim... ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home