Sunday, June 18, 2006

Laugh 'Til It Hurts... Unless It *Already* Hurts to Laugh...


On Father's Day, I want to recognize the man who is ultimately responsible for this blog.

My father.

Not because it was his idea. He didn't even know what a "blog" was until I started one.

Not because he's a regular reader. Although I do think he does glance at it occasionally.

No. My father is responsible for this blog because I *totally* inherited my sense of humour from him. All of it. From the funny stories, to the bad jokes, the good jokes, to the jokes that I know will get me in trouble but I just can't resist anyway.

And he's good for my health too. Because I *never* laugh harder than when my Dad and I get going.

Except once:

Back when I was ten years old, I had my appendix taken out. When I returned home from the hospital, there were stitches in my abdomen from the surgery that were pretty sore. When my dad started joking to cheer me up, I discovered that it hurt to laugh. So I'd laugh, then I'd cry. He tried to stop saying anything funny, but I couldn't stop laughing. No matter *what* he said, it would make me laugh. And then cry. Even seeing him trying *not* to be funny would make me laugh. So I think my mother eventually had to send him out of the room.

So there you go. It's not so good to be "in stitches" when you're *actually* in stitches.

And Happy Father's Day, Dad.

2 Comments:

At 10:29 PM, Blogger Mom101 said...

Hope you had a great daddy's day, Robin.

And tell me something: why is Superman Returns called Superman Returns and not just Superman? Isn't it just a remake? Where is he returning from exactly? I'm so confused.

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Oh my dearie dear. I'm so glad you asked. It's *not* a remake. It's a new movie that is still "in continuity" with the first two Superman movies that Christopher Reeve did. Meaning that those events did happen at some point in the past.

The idea is that Superman left the earth for a number of years, and is just now returning to a planet that has carried on without him.

So the "Superman Returns" title is appropriate for two reasons. One, he is actually *returning* from somewhere in this movie; and two, Superman is returning to the big screen after a long hiatus.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home