Friday, July 14, 2006

I WANT MY NUDITY AND SEXUALITY!!!

I'm a big believer in 'truth in advertising'. No, I'm not talking about the "Incredible Shrinking Bouncing Children and Their Pygmy Dad" debacle. I'm talking about...

Trailer Park Boys.



Have you seen the show? It's been on for a while now, but, as usual, I'm a little late to the party.

It's silly, and rude, and low budget, but it's entertaining. And it's made here in Nova Scotia, and has a cult following worldwide. It was, much like 'Family Guy', a show that I disliked the first time I saw it, and then months or years later found that it had grown on me. I think what brought me back to this one is that my friend Lockie had a few 'bystander' parts in a few episodes. Because of that, we watched some on DVD a few months ago, and that seemed to buy the show some favour from me.

But I digress. Back to the truth in advertising thing.

I was watching Trailer Park Boys the other night, on the Showcase channel. So after every commercial, they put on this disclaimer:

"The following contains nudity, sexuality, violence, and course language. Viewer discretion is advised."

Let's explore that a little more closely:

Coarse Language? OK, the show certainly has coarse language. Apparently, in one 22-minute episode, for example, they used the work "f*ck" ninety-one times.

Violence? It would be a stretch, but I guess some of the characters might get into little shoving matches once in a while.

Nudity? Sexuality? Never seen any.

AND THAT'S THE PROBLEM!!!

You can't put a disclaimer warning about nudity and sexuality on a show, if there really isn't any!!!

Broadcasters: Please consider your disclaimers an IRON-CLAD guarantee!! If you WARN us about nudity and sexuality, then GIVE US SOME NUDITY AND SEXUALITY!!!

Please!

PLEASE!

PLEEEEAAAASSSEEEEE!!!

...

Um.

Ahem.

Yeah. No, I'm totally normal.

Really.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home