Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Same Thing We Do Every Night, Pinky.... TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!

Funny how things just strike you out of the blue sometimes. Here's today's lightning strike for me:

I miss Pinky and the Brain.



Do you remember it? It was a running segment on "Animaniacs" and eventually got spun off into its own show (which wasn't quite as good, though).

It was your basic "two labratory mice try to take over the world each night" concept that we've seen lots of times through the years. (ha)

The characters were classic. The Brain had a kind of Orson Welles thing going on; Pinky was a total airhead with a heart of gold. Each night, the Brain would get *so* close to taking over the world, but something would always go wrong just at the end.

It was one of those cartoon that appealed to adults as much as to kids.

I think my favourite segment was when Brain dressed himself up as a country singer called Bubba Bo Bob Brain (that name still makes me chuckle). He used his country music to cover a hypnotic signal he was broadcasting. Oh, and of course, as part of his rise to stardom he appeared on talk shows, like this one with Dolly Parton:



Yup. Classic.

I wonder if I can get any on DVD? My teenagers sure loved it when they were little. I don't want to deprive the younger kids of the joy.

Narf.

4 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PINKY AND THE BRAIN!

<3

Narf.

 
At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yup... favorite cartoon... and now i have to thank you cause the theme song will be stuck in my head forever now... "one is a genius and the other's insane..." yay!

 
At 9:32 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Tara... Catdog? You keep throwing me with things. I did love Underdog as a kid, though.


Lisa... you're welcome. I've been singing it all day too. Here's the freaky part. Since writing this post, I read that there is going to be a 4-disc Pinky and the Brain Volume 1 DVD released soon. Yay!

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Shig said...

I LOVE Pinky and the Brain. Except that my husband says I'm Pinky!? NARF! Anyway, the best cartoon of ALL TIME is Dangermouse. Oh crumbs!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home