Monday, April 10, 2006

Ahh, Spring: A Time of Rebirth, Renewal, and..... ACID DEATH!!!!!

Remember how I was all perky because Spring was arriving?

Well, my enthusiasm for Spring has faded a tiny bit, since I became the official Girl Guides of Canada PLANT TORTURER.

Ok, well, I'm not "official."

And it's only for the one Brownies group that my wife leads, and my 8-year-old daughter belongs to.

But I *am* the plant torture guy!!

Let me explain. Part of the program is to teach the girl environmental responsibility, and to make them aware of environmental concerns. One such concern is acid rain.

To demonstrate how acid rain is harmful to plants, we purchased two identical plants, and watered one with fresh water, and watered the other with water that has a little vinegar added, to simulate acid rain.

Here's the result:



It's a great example for the girls and all... except for the guy who buys the plant, slowly poisons it, and photographs the process for posterity!!

I feel a little bit like the old Far Side cartoon:



That's me. Bob. Torturer of the Month.

But, you know, I'm sure it will pass. After all, it's for a very good cause.

And if I'm lucky, I won't have to kill anything else for the rest of the season!


*******
(Well, except for mosquitoes and earwigs of course. But that's more like a public service, right??)

3 Comments:

At 12:23 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Yeah. Yuck.

 
At 8:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can come torture my spiders... seriously... totally not kidding... anytime... is that a public service?

 
At 12:09 AM, Blogger Robin said...

Now, see, spiders I don't mind. They generally get a free ticket out of the house on a piece of paper under a cup. So my spider removal service is more humane than my earwig removal service.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home