Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Sorry. None of This is Remotely Funny.

Whoa. Is it Wednesday already? The last several days are a blur.

There's been lots happening, but none of it is particularly funny... but let's explore these events to check:

Last Friday my wife's dad arrived to stay for the weekend. Nice man, but not funny.

He brought his brother with him, who lives in the states, who we haven't seen in years. Another nice man, in fact, an *exceptionally* pleasant man, but not funny. Here's the kicker. He's a 'man of the cloth' (in fact, is a *monsignior* a special kind of priest? Because that's what they call him), so there were comedic possibilities based on his interaction with my children (ie. parental embarrassment) but none materialized. Darn kids pretty much behaved. Not funny.

Saturday was my wife's birthday. (Happy birthday honey)

Unfortunately, it was *also* the day we had planned to have an outdoor 'bouncy castle' arrive as a birthday party for my poor liitle five year old, who turned five early in May but who we still hadn't managed to have a party for yet.

But it rained. Poured, in fact. So the bouncy castle didn't come. But the kids did. So we had an indoor party with a bunch of small kids. Not funny.

Which was also the time when my mother-in-law and her husband arrived back at the airport from a trip visiting my wife's sister and needed us to pick them up. Not a problem, but also not funny.

THEN, during all this activity, I discovered that the job which I had understood for the last few months was going to be mine for the taking in July, evaporated. Which was not at *all* funny. In fact, it wouldn't be wrong to say that it totally f*cking sucks.

As well, that same evening, a number of our friends were invited to drop by to celebrate my wife's birthday with us. Unfortunately, I was only out picking up food and supplies for the evening's festivities late that afternoon and through suppertime (which I must admit, wasn't the best example of good time management or advance planning). It took longer than I anticipated to pick up the stuff, and when I was still unloading stuff from the car, not at *all* ready for visitors, the first carload of friends showed up. Which was, again, not funny.

Let's see, what else has been happening that's not funny?

Well, I've spent the last few days frantically calling some of my contacts to try and see if I can line up some work. Because after three years of living as a one-income family of seven, we *really* could use some additional income. Which is... REALLY... not funny.

So there you go.

It's to the point that I'm almost HOPING that I get hit in the groin today, in some freak comedic mishap, just to lighten things up. So I have something funny to write about.

We'll just have to wait and see.

But keep your fingers crossed for me.


2 Comments:

At 12:26 AM, Blogger Tracy said...

I'm glad to hear that i'm not the only one the world is playing tricks on. Now if you'll excuse, i need to finish putting my affairs in order before the end of the world.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

That's not funny.

You still are though--you can't help it.

Hh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home