Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Triumphant Return of Alfred E. Neuman

Last week, during a snack food stop to a local convenience store, this magazine caught my eye:



And, I must say, I bought it immediately.

Because it instantly made me remember THIS magazine from 1979:



Holy Smoke, I forgot how much I loved MAD Magazine as a kid. The movie and tv parodies, the "Lighter Side of...", Spy vs. Spy, the fold-in back covers, the little tiny Sergio Aragones cartoons hiding on the edges of the pages, not to mention the brutal mocking of celebrities and politicians!

And for that matter, it's only in hindsight that I realize how much my sense of humour (or lack thereof) was informed by all the MAD Magazines I consumed over a period of a few years.

So, naturally... I wanted to expose that to my kids! (You see, my plan is to have little versions of ME going out into the world to spread the joy long after I'm gone)

In fact, it was *days* before I even managed to get my hands on the magazine and read it.

I know it was a big success by the way they all pored over it and talked about it. The line that pretty much sums it up was the one that came from my five-year-old:

"Hee hee! Look! I can see Spider-man's BUTT!"



What, me worry?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home