Friday, January 20, 2006

Stewed, Blued, and...... Tattooed??

So I'm thinking about getting a tattoo.

Actually, I've been thinking about it for *years*. No tattoos yet though.

However, next month I turn 40. Back when I was, say, 25 or 30, I would say to myself, "But if I get a tattoo, what if I regret it when I'm older?" I've come to realize that I'm going to be the same person I am now for the rest of my life. If I'm happy with a Batman tattoo now, I'll still be happy with it when I'm 50 or 60 or 80.

Also, it's a way to guarantee my kids will never get one! If their *dad* has a tattoo, obviously tattoos aren't that cool, so they'll avoid them like the plague!

The two pertinent questions now are: WHERE and WHAT.

WHERE is pretty easy. Arms are typical tattoo spots. I'm not into ankles or butt cheeks or insides of bottom lips.

WHAT is the biggest one. I like cool generic symbols and designs, but if I want a tattoo, I want it to be *somewhat* related to my character. I'm leaning toward comic book stuff, since it's probably the only interest of mine that has been with me my whole life. I think I'd prefer an actual character rather than a symbol (ie. Batman or Superman rather than the 'S' or Bat symbol). Maybe even a little mini reproduction of one of my favourite comics? THAT would be cool.

So, you can see that I'm still open to ideas.

Any suggestions?

Anybody?

Please?

4 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well my tattoo symbolizes my love for cartoons because I feel rocky and mugsy represent that, so maybe you should get what ever you feel represents comics as a whole

 
At 9:12 PM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I did that. I got mine in May, 1999. The hubby and the manboys went with me and we called it a Mother's Day gift. I had been thinking about it for *years*, too.

I ended up with a tat that represented something important to me. I have a post in the drafts about it. Perhaps you've inspired me.

You were exactly right when you said that you need to be happy with it when you're 50, 60 or 80. You also need to be absolutely certain now...you will *know* what (and where.) Even if suggestions are made, my guess is the final, winning idea will be from YOU.

Recommendation: Ask everyone whose tats you like where they got it. Choose someone who does only (or mostly) their own work--not the canned ones ("I want 16A up there on the wall...") You could take a scanned pic of a favorite comic book in and have it done.

The guy that did mine did Keifer Sutherland's tat years ago, when KS was visiting Seattle for a movie. I'll tell you more on my own blog, but this guy does ONLY original bodyart. He will draw it until you like it. (Want to travel to see him?! He's now north of Seattle.) :)

As for ideas, I'll play along...

*How about a "Mount Rushmore" of faces: Superman, Batman, The Green Hornet and Spiderman. (Or another assortment of your faves.)

Hh

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you get a tattoo

i am ALSo getting a tattoo.

just so we're clear, daddy darling. i'm excited. i'm already thinking of what i want. i'll keep you posted.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Kim said...

You like comics? How about Dilbert?
Garfield? Calvin and Hobbes?

Batman? What's next, you're wife has to be Catwoman? (Don't answer that, your fantasies are your own....)

I don't have a tatoo. I don't like tatoos. But..........

If I HAD to have one? If I was FORCED to do it under pain of death?

I'd put a scarab from a Journey album. And get Steve Perry to tatoo his autograph on it.

But ONLY under pain of death.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home