Sunday, January 22, 2006

When Even Vomiting Can Be Funny

I'm not sure whether I've "broadened my horizons" or "lowered my standards", but...

I've become a fan of "Family Guy."

Back when it was first on a few years ago, I heard people talking about it. I recall watching part of an episode and thinking, "This stuff isn't very funny."

However, thanks to my thirteen-year-old's influence, I had occasion to see it for a longer period and re-evaluate my opinion.

It's hilarious.

Don't get me wrong, there are lots of jokes that make me go "ew." However, I'm usually laughing when I'm saying it.

Case in point: one of the funniest things I ever saw on the show was also the most potentially off-putting. Peter Griffin, the father, was sitting in the living room with his teenage son Chris, infant son Stewie(who is very eloquent, as well as extremely sarcastic and diabolical) and talking dog Brian(who is also quite eloquent, and actually the most reasonable character in the show). Please note that all of these characters are male. I'm quite certain that even female *cartoon* characters wouldn't participate in what's coming.

So where was I? Oh yes...

Peter has a friend who works in a pharmacy, so he's getting lots of stuff at a discount. He produces a bottle of Ipecac and proposes that they all take a swig. The idea is that the last person to throw up gets to eat the last remaining piece of pie. So (remember I said they are all male) they agree. Everyone takes a drink.

And they wait.

All acting pretty cool.

Then one of them throws up. They laugh. He's out. Then another one does, then another, and another, and then the 'winner' doesn't even have time to celebrate before he's puking too.

So, basically, they are all throwing up in the living room. Repeatedly. And they're all totally miserable, kind of like, "Oh, God, won't this ever stop.... blreaghhhhh!!!", which is the feeling all of us can recall from one or more similar personal experiences.

And it's funny. I mean, it's *really* funny. Nothing like belly laughing and suppressing the gag reflex at the same time.



But don't worry folks, I'm not *that* dedicated. I won't be getting a Stewie Griffin tattoo or anything.

... but I bet it would be pretty popular for a year or so!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home