Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Some Olympic Heart for Valentine's Day

Since it's Valentine's Day, it's appropriate to talk about heart.

*This* is why I watch the Olympics.

Last night, I watched a Chinese couple performing in the pairs free skate. The man, Zhang Hao, throws his partner Zhang Dan into a huge quadruple spin. Somewhere between the third and fourth rotation, she tries to come out of it, and ends up in a horrible crash to the ice. Just watching it made me feel ill. The way her legs splayed out made me worry for her ability to walk, never mind the damage to her bones and muscles and tendons. Her partner helps her up and helps her off the ice. I was visualizing someone putting her on a stretcher and speeding her out of the building.



So then what does she do? She pauses for a minute, then *goes back out on the ice and starts skating again.*

THEN, she and her partner RESUME THEIR PROGRAM! And they FINISH it! She jumps, spins, and performs in unbelievable style. Despite the awful crash, they earn a silver medal.

It's a showing of heart like I've never seen. This is one of those Olympic moments I guarantee you that I will never forget.

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 Comments:

At 4:21 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I saw that too! Unbelievable!

 
At 7:44 PM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I saw this...and I was just...stunned and horrified. It was the worst thing I had seen happen on the ice since Skate America 2004 when the Russian couple (who won gold lst night) had a BAD accident, too...(he dropped her from a precarious overhead lift onto her head and face.)

Watching the Russian pair, and the other two Chinese couples, as THEY watch Dan and Hao, was amazing.

What HEART.
Hh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home