Friday, April 14, 2006

Listen! Do You Smell Something??

Ah, it gives me pride as I watch my children grow and develop. My youngest child, my 4-year-old, who I have been home with since before he was two, constantly amazes me with the layers of personality and ability he develops almost daily.

Today, I am especially proud with how smoothly and professionally he displayed...

Fart humour.


Not just plain old fart humour; he mastered the tricky "blame somebody else" variation.

Let me explain.

Mom had left the house at 7am for work, and I crashed back in bed. As is common, I had a few visitors in bed with me... my two regulars, in fact. The 4-year-old, and the 8-year-old girl. (They are kind of like magic sometimes. In the morning, they're just *there*. We don't know how or when they arrive, they were in their own bed last time we checked... yet here they are. But I digress...)

So anyway, we're all kind of awake, just warm and snuggly. I'm on the end. The 4-year-old is in the middle, snugged up against me, facing away from me with his bum against my chest (this will have significance shortly). Next to him is the 8-year-old.

So there we are. Silence. Then, the 4-year-old executes the event which puts the story into action.

THHHHHPPPPTTTTTTT. Then, for punctuation.... THHPPT.

I think the reverberation against my rib cage helped the sonic intensity.

He masterfully pauses for slight emphasis, then says...

"Dad did it."

Bra-vo. Well played.

We laugh.

To signify my appreciation of such a gracefully executed maneuver, I contribute my own response:

"Yes. It was me. I farted.... FROM MY CHEST!! Right here, WHERE YOUR BUTT IS!!"

They are laughing uproariously at this point.

"Normally, I like to fart from my BUTT. But today, just for a change of pace, I thought I'd fart FROM MY CHEST!!!"

They nearly pass out.

After a few more seconds of laughing, we all bask in the after-laugh. At which point the little boy says...

"It was really me."

Which killed us. Like we didn't really *know* that... but somehow, it was honest, funny, and even kind of sweet.

And "sweet" is not a word that often occurs anywhere near the word "fart".




********************************************
By the way, any of you who recognized the title of my post as a quote from "Ghostbusters"....well, you need to get out a little more often!

4 Comments:

At 2:50 PM, Blogger Erin M said...

" It was really me" BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

 
At 7:03 PM, Blogger Matthew S. Urdan said...

Hey Robin,

Thanks for accepting my challenge in the Battle of the blogs tonight! I tihnk your blog has a great light-hearted tone and some amazing humor. You might have the best of me in this one as I have two serious posts in a row up there.

Good luck!

Meltwater. Torrents. Meanderings. Delta.

 
At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh so much better than the typical "pull my finger" we always got from my dad...

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Yeah, I was uncertain if I should go with a post where the main point is farting, but it was too amusing to let go by.

Matt, thanks very much. I'm still new to Blogexplosion and battling and all, but it's kind of fun for a lark. BTW, I really like your blog too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home