Thursday, January 25, 2007

Choose Your Words Carefully...

So today I got to help out in my five-year-old's primary class.

It was nice. It's a good group of kids. Half of them are in grade primary and half are grade ones. The teacher is a very nice young woman, filling in for the regular teacher who is on maternity leave. Turns out she comes from Cape Breton like my wife and I do, and she attended the same high school. (Of course, *we* were attending it the year she was *born*. Ugh)

During recess, when all the kids go out to get fresh air, I stay behind in the classroom doing the little tasks the teacher had assigned me.

She comes into the room. At that point, making small talk, I compliment her on having a nice bunch of students.

Or so I think.

She says, "What??"

I repeat myself:

"You have a really nice.... class."

(Ok, the emphasis was only added during the blogging, not during the actual speaking)

Since she was across the room, I'm hopeful that she asked me to repeat myself simply because she didn't hear me clearly.

Not because she was preparing to waltz down to the office and file a harassment suit.

Maybe next time I'll say something like "Hey, I find this to be a really nice group of kids in this particular classroom setting" instead. No way *that* can be misinterpreted.

Right?

4 Comments:

At 6:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

*I* could have gotten away with it ;)

 
At 6:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW...was her class nice?

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Yeah, it sure was. It... um, are we talking about the same thing?

;)

 
At 11:38 PM, Blogger Robin said...

"Mmmm.... Forbidden gummy...."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home