Sunday, April 23, 2006

When Mudman Screws Up An Already Screwed-up Day...

It's hard to write an amusing post about the significance of today.

But I'll try.

First, to clear the decks, here are the pertinent UNAMUSING details in point form:

1) Today is the 9th anniversary of the worst day of my life, when my then-five-year-old son fell out of one of our second storey windows.

2) My wife was on bedrest at the time, thirty-seven weeks pregnant with twins. (Interesting note - during the entire several hours of frantic activity and stress, she didn't even have a *twinge* -- adrenaline is an amazing thing)

3) My son must have been born under a lucky star. He never even lost consciousness, nor did he have any major injuries at the time (except for the fractured skull that we didn't find out about for a couple of weeks).


OK, here is the (sort of) funny part.

Now, bear in mind that we as parents had just been through a whirlwind of emotions, since one of our children had just been through a traumatic and potentially life-ending injury and came out the other side barely any worse for the wear.

We are back at home, and we snuggle him in our bed and let him watch a tv show. In fact, it was the animated Batman tv show, which he was quite fond of.

We watch the show, and it's a pretty typical Batman show. The bad guy was Clayface, who was a big mudheap shapeshifting kind of guy. In fact, in our house he was known as Mudman.



Yes, the episode was pretty typical, as I said... until the end.

Which is when Clayface PLUNGES OFF A CLIFF.

Let me describle the sound effects of that climactic scene:

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!"

SPLAT.

And let me point out that while it didn't seem to faze my son at all, his mother and I were, I think it's safe to say, totally f***ed up. It was certainly an interesting end to an unusual day.

I also think it's fairly safe to say that this can be filed under the category of "worst possible combination of serious accident and post-accident television viewing".

So there you go. While it didn't seem funny at the time, we do have a kind of a morbid chuckle about it now.

Heh.

****************************************
Footnotes:
1) Clayface survived. (Duh, he was made of mud)
2) My wife delivered healthy twins three days later. It was quite a week.
3) We have had bars on all the second floor windows since then.
4) Fluid buildup from a fractured skull makes a kid's head feel like it has a big hairy water balloon on it. Touching it was a sensation unlike any other, which I've never forgotten.

8 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted a comment in your wife's blog entry today. I read both of yours.

Those events that took place are heart-wrenching and amazing at the same time. I even will admit I got a little teary just reading about them. I think it's amazing, wonderful, and touching that what could have been so tragic ended the way it did...with a happy, healthy, child (teen, now I guess) who is living their life.

It's stories like that that make me appreciate my life so much more.

Thanks

 
At 5:37 PM, Blogger Marcia said...

a) clayface is awesome
b) I'm so happy all your family (both born and almost-born) was fine!
c) ewwwwwwwwww! to the hairy water ballon. EWWW.

 
At 11:49 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Thanks, both of you. Never ceases to amaze and scare me how lucky we all were, and how badly the same event could have gone.

 
At 12:52 PM, Blogger Bob said...

Isn't this one of those things where people say "Some day you'll look back on this and laugh"? And how did the skull fracture get missed? I guess if it was just a "teensy" fracture.

 
At 1:00 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Bob... if I remember correctly (and that's a BIG *if*), with a blow to the head like that, swelling and such makes it difficult to assess if the skull was fractured. And basically, there's no treatment for it anyway... just wait for it to heal. So yes, the resultant swelling (and an eventual CAT scan) proved that a skull fracture actually happened.

And yes, we do look back and laugh at the horribly bad timing of that cartoon. Thanks.

 
At 1:48 PM, Blogger Kim said...

Amazing story. The resilience of children is often miraculous.

I've taken care, over the years, of two different three-year-olds who fell out of 2nd story windows, one into a bush and one onto concrete.

No major injuries.

If you or I fell that far, we'd be full on trauma patients.

Just the thought of what happened to you guys that day gives me goosebumps. I can only imagine the terror until you found out he was okay.

And I will never forget the phrase "hairy water balloon". It is now branded into my lexicon of descriptive terms" : )

I would post on wife's blog but for some reason it never lets me, so would you let her know I read and enjoy! Thanks!

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger Robin said...

Yeah, kids and those flexible little bodies. I remember tripping and falling not too long ago, and it was like "Oh my God, I don't remember it being like this when I was a kid!"

Oh, and we fixed up the commenting problem in my better half's blog. Don't know what caused the problem, but it's ok now. Thanks for the heads up!

 
At 12:34 PM, Blogger Dreaming again said...

my physical therapist was just talking about how when he was a kid he specifically remembers going bounce off of things he shouldn't have bounced off of.

And now he goes splat ...OUCH! COLLEGUE!!!!!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home