Monday, May 08, 2006

Birthday / Death Day... AKA "Zing! Went the Strings of my Heart"

Today was my littlest kid's fifth birthday. Wow. When I started staying home with him, he wasn't even two. Now, spin around a couple of times and he's five. It's pretty freaky.

That part was easy.

The part of the day that wasn't as easy was the part I didn't expect.

When I picked up my 9-year-olds after school today, my son was carrying a little plastic tray, with something in it.

I ask what's in the tray. He replies, in a raised voice, "My less than one day pet!!" For a second I think he's angry. Then, I realize that his eyes are red and that he's upset.

His sister tells me, "It's a salamander. It died."

Turns out he found it under a rock earlier today. He was keeping it in a desk during school. By the end of the day it was no longer alive.

I have to say, this one grabbed my heartstrings and tugged pretty hard. I could tell that, no matter how unlikely it might have seemed to an adult, this little boy thought he had found a pet that he could take home and take care of.

I gave him a hug. I asked him to show it to me. He told me he thought it was a girl. I told him that she was pretty cute. I asked if he wanted to take her home and put her in the garden. He said yes. We found a nice spot in the garden in front of our house, under a rock, and put the salamander there.

We've never been a pet family. Except for a turtle, nine years ago. Which didn't last long after we had twins. We found it a nice pond to live out its days in.

But this *does* make me think again. I wonder if there's a nice lizard or something out there that's easy to care for?

Zing.


****************************************
(Should all this have surprised me? I think not. Look at this picture from last summer... after young mister found a friend at the playground)

2 Comments:

At 2:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

leopard geckos are super friendly, small, and easy to care for. they dont tend to jump, and they sit still long enough for small kids to learn to handle without fear. if you want more info, email me: evilpckls at gmail.

 
At 9:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FERRET YESSSS.

or lizard.

daddy, i want a pet. again.

i miss my turtle now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home