Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Fine Herb

There's absolutely nothing amusing about this post. However, I seem to be unable to write anything else until I write this.

My uncle Herbie died yesterday.

He was sixty-seven years old. Which, I'm sorry, just isn't old enough.

He had triple bypass surgery last Wednesday. It seemed to go fine, but then shortly afterwards everything went to ratsh*t. The end result of which was him passing away yesterday morning.

It was a long, emotional, painful period. I don't have words to describe how badly the whole situation sucked. Just trust me, it really did. I feel so bad for my cousins Jennifer, Stephen and Andrew for losing their father. And for my own father, losing his brother. There were some moments that just broke my heart to see. I'm not going to trivialize them by relating them here, but they'll be with me forever.

During this period we had lots of talks. Some were serious, some were frivolous, some were sad, some were happy... but one I had with Steve in particular stuck with me. Although I don't recall his exact words, he made a comment on how when 'important' people die, the world takes notice. But when a decent man dies, a man who loved his family, treated people nicely, and lived a good life... nobody really takes notice. And it happens countless times a day, with countless decent people.

He's right. And it's probably another one of the reasons I'm writing this now.

Herbie was a good man. He was funny, and considerate, and compassionate. He had a heart of gold. He loved his family. When he lost his wife almost thirteen years ago, he lost of bit of himself. But he kept plugging.

And I have to say, I'm really going to miss him.

10 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

.very nice, Robin. You put it better than I ever could. That's why I took Phys. Ed and not English. I can never thank you enough for everything you did to help all of us through this.

 
At 4:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, you are absolutely right. Herbie was the epitome of a kind and decent man. He welcomed me into your family with open arms and always treated me as a friend. He may not have been one of the 'important people' but he was important to me and his loss will be noticed. I, too, will miss him.

 
At 7:58 PM, Blogger Shig said...

Robin, I'm so sorry for you and your family. He sounds like a great guy.

 
At 10:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, Robin.

Not only for the heartfelt post, but for everything that you said and did in the last week to make a difficult time so much easier to get through. I know it was just as painful for you as for anyone, but all along your concern was for the rest of us. I really don't have the words to thank you enough.

(To everyone who reads Robin's blog: it's self-evident what a terrific writer he is, but it's only right that you all be aware of the quality of his character, too. It's not possible to convey the extent of my admiration for the person that he is. He's truly a special individual, and you can consider yourselves fortunate to know him in any capacity, even if only through his posts.)

 
At 5:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin, We are so saddened by your loss. It is always difficult to lose a family member, especially so young - and 67 is very young. I know your Uncle Herbie must have been a kind, compassionate and wonderful person, just by knowing you, because these are the same qualities you have too. We are thinking of you and the rest of your family during this difficult time. Barbara & Locklyn

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

He sounds like the kind of person anyone would have been lucky to know.

I'm sorry to hear about your family's loss.

 
At 2:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sorry to hear about your Uncle Robin. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Andreanna

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The "important people" are the "everyday saints" in our lives. Your Uncle Herbie was an "important person" and you wrote of him beautifully.

 
At 3:34 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

You have my condolences on the loss of your uncle. Lovely post.

 
At 10:11 AM, Blogger Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

You wrote: Although I don't recall his exact words, he made a comment on how when 'important' people die, the world takes notice. But when a decent man dies, a man who loved his family, treated people nicely, and lived a good life... nobody really takes notice. And it happens countless times a day, with countless decent people.

We have noticed a decent man, who lvoed his family and lived a good life. Thanks to you, Robin.

Hh

 

Post a Comment

<< Home