Friday, July 21, 2006

Is There a Monster in the House?

I was going to name this post "Oooh, Wasn't That Scary, Kids?", but then I realized that I already did that, last October. (Remember the Ballet Dancer of Death?)

On my last non-working weekday for the foreseeable future, my wife and I took the three littles to "Monster House."

I had seen the previews for this movie, but hadn't read any reviews or any articles on it beforehand. We just kind of arrived at the theatre and decided to go.

So, I must say, I was surprised by the movie. It didn't actually scare me, but it was kind of... scary. Enough that I was wondering how the kids were finding it.

Again, as with Pirates of the Caribbean, they demonstrate for me that they have a firm grasp of what's real and what's make-believe. They really liked the movie. The nine-year-olds jumped more than the five-year-old, and one of them spent a few minutes hanging on my arm. But she *is* a bit of a drama queen.

If you have kids, and they don't mind a good imaginative movie with a reasonable scare factor, take them to "Monster House." If they're a little... sensitive, keep them home.


**********************************
Geek alert: I didn't know this when I saw it, but it turns out that the movie was filmed in live-action, and then digitally animated using motion capture. I'd like to see it over again, just to watch it from this new point of view...

2 Comments:

At 4:54 AM, Blogger Reel Fanatic said...

I'm gonna take my nephew to see this one today .. thanks for the warning about the frights, but I think he can handle it

 
At 11:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to take our 3 older kids to Pirates this evening -- only to learn it was sold out. Monster house started 10 min later - so in we went.

Didn't go over so well, had Allison told me about you're experience before we'd left I might have skipped this one.

Mark

 

Post a Comment

<< Home