Saturday, August 25, 2007

The Ultimate Grudge Match: 1987 vs. 2007

My wife and I reached a milestone this past Wednesday. Twenty years married. And both still alive, and relatively undamaged, at that! It makes me wonder, however, if we're better off now, or in 1987. Let's do a quick comparison of August 22nd, 1987, and August 22nd, 2007:




AGE:

1987: Young.
2007: Old.

Winner: 1987.


CLOTHING:

1987: Beautiful but impractical wedding gown, and not-terribly-manly all-white tux.
2007: Casual comfortable clothes.

Winner: 2007


HAIR:

1987: My wife's, curled and lovely. Mine, poofy and already thinning at 21.
2007: My wife's, under a hat but as nice as always, mine, missing in action.

Winner: Um, let's call that one a draw.


LOCATION:

1987: Church. In Sydney.
2007: Open water near Peggy's Cove.

Winner: 2007. With apologies to God.


FAMILY:

1987: No kids. Whew.
2007: Five kids. But not with us at the time! (That scores bonus points)

Winner: 2007 (even not considering the 'missing kids' bonus points)


ACTIVITIES:

1987: Marrying, dancing and partying. But also lots of stress, jitters, and sweating.
2007: Kayaking. Totally stress free and amazing.

Winner: Ooh... tough one. However, as nice as 2007 was, I better give the edge to 1987 for the 'wedding' thing.


And the grand winner is... with a slight edge.... 2007!

Yay. I always knew we were better off.

Congratulations to the present. Past, you had your time, and it was pretty good, but you know your place now. Behind us.

That's all for our first double-decade challenge. Check back in 2027 for the next round!

5 Comments:

At 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, you nut!

 
At 7:48 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Happy Anniversary! I really liked how you juxtaposed the old with the new. I was just starting high school in 1987. Man, I was young as well. Take care.

 
At 8:40 AM, Blogger caramaena said...

Congrats on 20 years and happy anniversary to you both :D

 
At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, you two....and I'm not waiting to check back in 20 years from now....I'll keep up the watch on a somehwat regular basis.
Shauna

 
At 2:21 AM, Blogger Shig said...

Congrats! You both had much better taste in mates at that age than I did(trying to imagine marrying the guy I was dating 20 years ago-shudder).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home