Friday, January 27, 2006

Understanding Teen "Lingo"

You know how they say that teens have a language all their own?

I've never had a great deal of difficulty understanding my own teens. For the most part we're on the same wavelength, and when they say something, I understand it.

However, this morning my sixteen-year-old daughter made a comment which might require some interpretation.

Quick bit of background: she is hoping to travel to Scotland this summer with a group of highland dancers, and has been participating in numerous fundraisers over the last year to pay for her trip. Recall the frozen pies and bottle drives.

This morning, I remind her that she has a 'bagging' job this evening. Basically, she shows up at a grocery store, and bags people's groceries, and hopefully gets a few donations for her group's trip to Scotland.

When I remind her that she needs to wear her kilt (her highland dance outfit) to the grocery store while she's doing this bagging, that's when she makes the comment:

"Please shoot me in the head."

Hmm.

Let's see. *How* should I interpret this? I see a few options:

1) "Oh Daddy, I'm so excited to be doing this, just shoot my brain full of joy!"

2) "After I finish bagging groceries in my kilt tonight, you can just finish me off then and there, because my life will be complete."

One of those *must* be it, right?

Well... I suppose that there is a slight chance that she's trying to say that she doesn't want to be actually out in public around normal people dressed in her freak suit where she might be seen by somebody she knows...

Nah.

Besides, it builds character. (wink)

3 Comments:

At 12:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats a very normal comment. you hear that all the time here.

= me, scotty and steve are really* enjoying your blog.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rafs been reading it way longer than any of those fools

 
At 11:47 PM, Blogger Tracy said...

I would have said

Gag me with a pitchfork

 

Post a Comment

<< Home